Thursday, December 23, 2010

What Do We Give?

The last six years of my life, has been filled with a lot of changes. Death and discord seemed to fill it and I am finally at a place where I can try to enjoy the holidays again.

Since I've been numb to it all in the last six years, I almost forgot what the holidays were all about. I forgot that it was about giving, and not receiving, and it's about love, and celebrating life. We get so caught up on gifts, on wrapping, and we seem to forget the true meaning of this holiday season.

We should be grateful for what we have, especially in this recession when so many have lost jobs, homes and for some, their lives. Just today, a friend of mine witness a man getting struck down by a van on a major highway, and she doesn't think he is going to make it. Just two days before Christmas, a family must deal with the fact that a love one may die. Yet, here I am wishing I had more money to buy more gifts for friends and love ones- instead, I should be wishing that all of the people in my life are safe and sound to celebrate the ending of this year, and the starting of the next. Because someone in the world right now, isn't going to have that chance.

I was talking to a friend, and he really inspired me to reflect about this time of the year, and myself. He was having a hard time and needed to vent. He talked about "giving"...what he gave, and how what he wants, is never given. It reminded me that while I may not be the most jolliest person around this time, I can appreciate it for what it is. I am a natural giver, and I would give you my last meal if that meant it would be the first meal you ate in weeks. I would give away special items to people, just because I believe everyone deserves to have a smile on their face.

Yes, sometimes I wish people would appreciate me more, and sometimes it's nice when someone says "Thank You" or when I get credit for all of my efforts, but what I do, and what I give, I do it because it's part of who I am- a natural giver.

What do we give though? Besides this one time of year, what do we give? Do we give enough thank you's to those who do small tasks in our every day life? Do we thank our mailman or woman? Do we thank our grandparents or parents, or whoever is responsible for our upbringing? Do we give thanks to our friends, the people we count on for a lot in our lives?

Do we give love to those who need it, hope to those who have lost it, and peace to those who have gone mad? In fact, most of us only take- most of us only know how to receive and not how to give back.

Get over the decorations, presents and drinks-- and take this time, and give it a deeper meaning. Let it be about love, life, peace and harmony. Let's stop taking and start giving back.

No comments:

Post a Comment