Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Gentle Rejection

"Rejection, I'm fine with it, I'm an adult. It upsets me but I can deal with it. It doesn't make me question myself that much..."
is what one of my favorite artists, Adele said. She was referring to the inspiration behind her upcoming album.

Ironically enough, before I watched the video where she said the above quote, I had just received a gentle rejection from a guy I was interested in. I was stressing over something so simple-I wanted to let him know I was interested but feared the rejection I knew was coming.

Then something clicked and after I told him- he gave me a rejection so gentle, it rarely felt like rejection at all. In the past, rejection would seem like a personal attack on who I am. In time I recognized the fact that rejection wasn't a reason to change who I am, it was a reason to recognize that there is someone else out there that would appreciate me as I am.

It's a natural part of life, rejection that is. At times, our bodies reject us, and illness comes about. When another person rejects us, our hearts ache, and pain comes about.

However, how many times do we take into account why the rejection hurts or bothers? Is it because the other person doesn't want you, or because you want to be wanted but can't seem to find anyone who wants to want you?

Although I've experienced various forms of rejection, and will continue to face more as I go through life- there was something about today's rejection that was eye-opening. It was the first time that the rejection didn't seem personal, the first time where I didn't stop what I was doing and begin to 'blame myself for being the way I am' and that's why no one wants me.

No, beside the fact that he was a complete gentleman about it all, I've come to realize that you have to be who you are, no matter if your view on life is blurred or the perceptions others may have about you.

And remember, that rejection on the romantic level doesn't mean you and the other person can't be friends. Don't hold grudges or become bitter because then you will miss out on a potentially great friend.

Take rejection for what it is worth on the surface, and don't allow it to consume you and make you turn into this guarded individual because it is always better to attempt and fail, then to never attempt at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment