Monday, February 14, 2011

The Secrets We Hold

On June 30th, it will be one year since I graduated from high school. While my high school years had its good and bad moments, I will always look back with a sense of bittersweetness. I was one of a few handful of people who were openly gay, and others were straight, in the closet, or simply in denial.

Yet, somehow almost a year later, I look back at my high school class and I see people differently. We've grown up a lot, while some have fallen off the map, and others are excelling, and a few- are in the middle. I have to say, for the most part, I look at individuals and wonder where they, and I will be in 2020.

I've learned about the secrets some of us have held, the fact that my thoughts were not wrong, and that some people were gay all along. It isn't about being gay or bi-sexual, or confused- this blog has to do with the fact that in just a short time, the secrets we've held for the last four years are unfolding.

The masks are cracking, and the truth revealed, so now I imagine my 10 year class reunion as a mix between a typical school day at Rosa Parks and the Pride Parade. I may have been one of the few who were bold enough, sure enough, and strong enough to be openly gay- but the few of us is just a small representation of the bigger number. Yes, people who use to attack me or show strong disgust of homosexuality- are indeed gay/bi-sexual themselves.

Those who were afraid to speak out, are now speaking out and are keeping their head high. The secrets we held for all of this time, are coming out in the light, for all to see.

This is not a bad thing, and I am not writing this blog to out anyone, so there will be no names but for those who may read this and knows it applies to you-- I am happy you are coming to grips with who you are. Knowing who you are is the first step of progress and as you continue to grow in life, I am certain you will be able to speak of the secrets, and let it all go.

No more lies, no more hiding, no more feeding into the homophobic facade-- no more fighting. You think people don't know, but they do, and even after they find out- they don't think any differently of you.

So in just a year, a lot of us have grown, some of us have lost our way, and others are soaring in the direction of their dreams, just remember, in ten years, what we kept trying to hide, will be revealed because no secret stays a secret forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment