Friday, March 4, 2011

Inspiration: A Social Media Story

For anyone who is my friend on Facebook, they would know that I am a Facebook junkie and I always use it to network and connect with new people.

About 6-8 months ago I came across this video on Youtube, the video was a contemporary dance solo choreographed to Katie Thompson's song, "It Doesn't Hurt" which I am absolutely in LOVE with. It was because of Katie, that I was searching Youtube for different dance videos. I came across this one video choreographed by a gifted choreographer, and the dancer was amazing. I felt so inspired by the video that I shared it with my Facebook Network of friends.

Several months later, I came across the video again, and then I realized that the choreographer had other pieces of work so I began to watch. After watching a few videos, I decided that I would be the Facebook Junkie that I am, and I would try to see if I could find the choreographer on Facebook. To my surprise, I was able to find her, and I sent her a message right away.

That amazing choreographer is Marinda Davis, an inspiration for a young choreographer like myself. I didn't expect her to reply to my message, or my Friend Request, she replied to both. I initially reached out to her so she could be a guest choreographer for my dance company, marked dance project. Due to her hectic schedule, she and I said we would re-visit that prospect in the near future.

However, I was so moved by her work that I had to work with her soon, so I was able to schedule her for a contemporary master class at William Paterson University.

I was excited that I was going to finally meet the person who I have only known online, through social media. Her choreography really touched me, inspired me, and I felt like a little kid the day of the class.

People say that I am on Facebook too much, but if it wasn't for me coming across that video on Youtube, and finding her on Facebook, I wouldn't have met her or been touched by her movement. Friends and I were just in awe during the class, and the best part is that I met her Assistant who was the dancer I saw in the initial video for "It Doesn't Hurt", when I realized it was her- I screamed like some crazy fan. Yes people she is uber talented.

So the moral of this blog, it's simple! Inspiration comes in all forms, and through various outlets- My meeting Marinda Davis and being able to take her Master Class was a Social Media Story of how I was inspired to reach out to her because of her talent. See, there is something good out of being a Facebook Junkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment