Saturday, August 14, 2010

Saturday Night In

I wrote that I would write a blog every day-- well here it is.

Today was the first day of what I consider to be my vacation. I am visiting family in Dover, a good 40 minutes away from where I live. Dover has a good blend of suburban/ city-like features.

I feel safe walking around the neighborhood at 3 AM in the morning, how do I know? Because I've done it many times growing up. Dover has been my home away from home, the place I would come whenever I didn't have school, where I could breathe fresh air (well as fresh as it gets here in North Jersey) and I could look up and actually see the light given to the night sky by the stars. In a city like mine, the Stars aren't able to be viewed the same way because of all the lights.

I like being able to walk to my relatives home and not worry about being called a "fag" or being stared down at. Okay, that stuff can occur anywhere I go, but why does it only happen in the place I call home?

I recently saw a show from The Crossover Project, which made me think-- "How do you define your home?"

My home is not the city in which I was raised, my home is here, in Dover- the place where I learned the meaning of true family traditions, the struggles, and the importance of living life without the added pressure that I find to be abundant in the inner-city.

So I am spending a Saturday night in doors watching movies and enjoying the calm and silence that comes from being home again.

1 comment:

  1. ofcourse this relates to me, silly.
    ive been trying to get rid of my emotions for good, and as the days progress, ive become more and more independent.
    who knows, maybe my fawning will come to and end once this year does. hopefully, before that. -crosses fingers-

    loved your last couple of lines. awesome metaphor.
    i dont have to tell you twice to keep writing. :D

    ReplyDelete