Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's All Fun & Games Until...

Ever heard the saying, "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt"?

Though it's extremely cliche, there is truth in the words made popular by teachers and parents. Today was suppose to be a fun day for me, but instead it ended up being a rough day, and my feelings were hurt.

I know I am sensitive, BUT in this case, I have valid points for feeling the way I do- and although I can't get into details because it will expose a person (which I won't do) I'll explain how the situation made me feel.

When someone feels disrespected by someone they have an enormous amount of respect for, what does one do, or even say? Especially when that person is an authority figure?

I felt like yelling and telling that person how insensitive and rude they were. Instead, I just ignored it and then I briefly explained some things via text- but obviously that wasn't enough.

Going back to the above quote, there's nothing fun about a game that makes others laugh at your account- joke or no joke.

I guess today made me realize how others might feel when I say certain things, or certain jokes- so to those people, I am truly sorry.

I was hurt because I work so hard, I work hard to prove to people that I deserve to be where I am, and though the person I am referring to always told me not to prove anything to anyone and add that pressure, I feel the need to do so when people tell me I am "lucky to be here".

What made me angry, is the obvious double standard of today- making me feel, less worthy or important, which really makes me feel like a piece of trash that can be disposed of. Then it makes me question everything that person ever told me, and I find a thin trace of hypocrisy- how can you have my best interest, when you decide to say something that directly hits a sore spot for me? Where's the best interest in that for me? When one is fully aware of another's insecurities or indifference, yet they decide to go to that place that really tugs at those insecurities, are they held completely responsible?

Some can claim, they didn't know a joke would bother you, or that there was a bigger issue underneath- but when a person is aware, that excuse goes out the window, at least in my opinion.

I feel like people (including myself) need to be more aware of the words we speak, because once words are spoken, I am afraid they can't be taken back. Instead, they will linger in the person to whom the words were addressed to, replaying over and over again in their head- even while they are sleeping, in some cases.

Words are more powerful then many realize, words can cut sharper than a blade and last longer than a bruise.

Why else would there be poetry if words could not move people, evoke emotion or leave some lasting impression?

Why else would they write down history, so things can be remembered for decades to come?

And so forth, words can be like a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands...

I don't think the person was telling a joke at all, and that belief was only strengthen later on after more harsh remarks were made-

I am such a strong person, and I don't know why this means so much to me, why it is bringing me to tears, normally I am so strong, but I guess because of the person who said it, I am feeling some unusual way about it.

I know I just have to get over it, but to be honest with you, I don't think I can look at the person in the same light again, and even more so if they feel that they did nothing wrong (haven't asked if they think they were wrong)

It really is all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment